These healthy sweet potato fries use 1 tablespoon of oil and take only 15 minutes to cook! Learn the secret to making crispy fries in your Air Fryer at home!
Regular fries are fine, but sweet potato fries are my jam! Which camp are you in? There’s something about the sweet middle and crunchy salty exterior that makes sweet potato fries the perfect side dish for burgers or really, pretty much anything!
Now, there’s no way I’m going to use a deep fryer to make the perfect fries at home. It’s scary to think about that hot oil in my kitchen. And honestly, I try to cook a little healthier than that at home anyway.
In steps the air fryer! Perfect for making small healthy batches of your favorite food! True, most of the time I’m using it as an easy way to cook up frozen foods without using my oven, but it’s perfect for making those homemade versions too.
I like choosing one large sweet potato rather than 2 smaller ones because I find it easier to cut.
To make the fries crispy they need some type of dusting like with cornstarch or tapioca flour.
For the oil I suggest using avocado oil because it has a higher smoke point and won’t let the fries burn as quickly.
Getting crispy fries in your air fryer can be a challenge unless you know a few tricks
Make sure to cut your fries as thin as possible, preferably around 1/4 thick, and try to ensure they are all equal size as much as possible
Soaking the fries in water will help remove some of the starch and help them to be crispier
Make sure to dry the fries and the bowl very well before tossing with flour and seasoning
Leave salt until the end to also help prevent sogginess while cooking
Make sure to check and shake the basket every few minutes to ensure fries cook evenly
- A larger air fryer with a square basket is best, but if you have a smaller one simply work in batches.
To double or triple the recipe you will likely need to work in batches
You want the fries in as much of a single layer as possible with plenty of room for the air to circulate
How To Store Leftovers
- Let cool completely then store in air tight containers in fridge up to 3 days
Air Fryer French Fries
Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Peel skin from potatoes and cut off any skinny ends
- Carefully cut potatoes into 1/4 inch thick pieces lengthwise then into 1/4 inch strips
- Add cut potatoes to a bowl and cover with water
- Let soak for at least 10 minutes but preferable up to 30 minutes to help remove starch (the longer the better)
- Drain and towel dry the bowl and potatoes well
- Toss with flour and garlic powder
- Arrange in single layer in air fryer basket
- Cook at 400 degrees 15 minutes, shaking basket every few minutes until cooked through and crispy
- Sprinkle hot fries with salt
- Work in batches to double or triple the recipe
Place in a single layer with room for the air to circulate between
- Cool completely then store in air tight containers in fridge up to 3 days