Which steak is best for pan frying?
- ribeye (which is what I chose)
- skirt steak
Now… how do you cook steaks in a cast iron skillet?
- start by getting the skillet nice and hot!
- get those steaks seasoned and then add some butter/oil to the pan
- get a nice sear/crust on each side then reduce heat to let them continue to cook through
- use a meat thermometer to make sure you get them to the perfect temperature
How do you make pan gravy?
- remove the steak and let it rest
- add a thickener (flour or cornstarch)
- add broth or diary depending on the type of gravy you want
- let simmer and thicken with the leftovers from the pan into a delicious gravy
Simple Skillet Steak with Pepper Gravy
- Heat cast iron skillet for 5 minutes over medium high to high heat
- Add butter to skillet
- Season steaks with herb and garlic seasoning and place in heated skillet
- Let sear until brown and crusted on each side (about 3-4 minutes per side)
- Reduce heat and use thermometer to monitor temperature until they reach desired doneness (I prefer medium)
- Remove steaks from skillet and allow to rest
- Stir in cornstarch to skillet until smooth
- Slowly pour in broth while whisking and add California pepper
- Bring to a simmer until thickened and serve over steaks