They may seem fancy, but these crab stuffed mushrooms are one of the quickest and easiest appetizers to make! No pre-cooking any ingredients and you can assemble them in minutes!
With all of the holidays coming up there are sure to be plenty of get togethers, office parties and family gatherings. Why not impress your friends and family by making a delicious appetizer to share that will be the hit of the party? I love stuffed mushrooms but have never loved all of the work, so I came up with a way to stuff the mushrooms full of deliciousness without having to do a ton of work. These are easy to assemble in minutes and take only 20 minutes to cook. Perfect for an appetizer and even hearty enough for a light meal.
How do you make stuffed mushrooms?
You’ll want to start with some nice hearty mushrooms like portobellos. I used baby mushrooms because I wanted a bite sized appetizer that you could grab with your fingers and pop into your mouth. You could use larger mushrooms and adjust the cooking time.
The easiest way to prepare the mushrooms is to:
- rinse lightly under water and rub with a paper towel to remove dirt
- turn upside down and hold the stem between your index finger and thumb
- wiggle back and forth until stem snaps free on both sides and remove
Many recipes call for shopping and cooking the stems and adding to the filling. Here we are going to skip it for two reasons.
- to save time
- to be able to stuff more cheese and crab into the mushrooms
How do you make crab stuffing?
Like I mentioned above, this recipe focuses on stuffing as much cheese and crab into the mushrooms as possible.
We use canned crab meat which saves a ton of time. Make sure to grab lump crab meat so that you won’t have to pick through any shells.
We will mix the meat from the can with whipped cream cheese, shredded cheddar, seasoning and bread crumbs for a quick filling. Sharp cheddar is my favorite for the contrast of flavor with the mild crab meat.
Drizzle a little olive oil on the pan to help cook the “tops” of the mushrooms that will be on the bottom. Top the mushrooms with a little extra panko if desired and drizzle with a little more oil to get a crispy top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until mushrooms are tender and then they are ready to serve!! I love to transfer them to a shallow bowl since they can slide off a plate a little too easily. That is, whatever doesn’t get grabbed up off the baking sheet before they ever make it to the serving dish!
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Clean mushrooms and remove stems (discard stems or set aside for another recipe)
- In a small bowl, mix together remaining ingredients except olive oil until smooth
- Drizzle a small baking sheet with some olive oil
- Stuff each mushroom until full with a spoonful of filling and place stuffed side up on baking sheet
- Sprinkle stuffed mushrooms with additional panko if desired and drizzle with a bit more oil
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until mushrooms are tender