Love stuffed cabbage but hate the work? This simplified Dutch Oven Beef and Cabbage Casserole is quick and easy to make in only 30 minutes! So delicious even those who think cabbage isn’t for them will gobble this up!
Unless it’s a traditional dish your family makes often, making a beef and cabbage casserole may not be on your usual dinner radar.
And let’s be honest, cabbage may not be something you crave or have even tried. But can I tell you, this dinner is not only quick and simple to make, but satisfies those cravings for a wholesome, delicious dinner!
Packed with cabbage, carrots and ground beef this is not only full of fiber and nutrition, but it is filling and satisfying in a way that won’t leave you feeling overstuffed like when you eat pasta.
About beef and cabbage
There are so many different versions of beef and cabbage recipes that go right along with cultural and family traditions.
My mother-in-law has often described one of her favorite dishes growing up in a family with German roots called galuskies, which are essentially a version of stuffed cabbage.
While I love the idea of keeping family traditions alive, there are times when making a meal that takes 1-2 hours just isn’t feasible. That’s why I’ve created a quick version you can make in the dutch oven in a fraction of the time!
Beef and Cabbage Casserole Ingredients
- ground beef – use a lean ground beef or use 80/20 and remove excess grease if desired
- cabbage – choose a nice head of fresh green cabbage, or in a pinch you can buy bagged shredded cabbage at the store. I prefer chopping it myself thought so I can leave the pieces a little bigger.
- carrots – real whole carrots that are peeled and sliced are a must for me, baby carrots just don’t have the same flavor
- seasonings – used dried onion powder, garlic powder and oregano plus salt and pepper
- tomato sauce – a high quality brand is is best
- sugar – optional, but this tiny amount helps cut the acidity of the tomatoes
Do I have to use a dutch oven?
No, for this recipe any heavy bottomed pan or large skillet would work. But, if you don’t have a dutch oven, it’s a great investment and there are so many delicious recipes you can make in it. In fact, I’ve got a whole section here on my blog devoted to dutch oven recipes.
And you don’t have to invest in a super expensive one either. This is the one I use and I love it!
Tips for making this Dutch Oven Beef and Cabbage Casserole:
- slice your carrots about 1/4 of an inch thick. You want them to cook quickly but not get soggy. They are best when they get to the point of not having any crunch left but not falling apart tender.
- use a nice lean ground beef so that you don’t have any leftover grease to deal with
- you can use fresh cabbage you shred yourself or grab a bag of shredded cabbage to save a little prep time
Dutch Oven Beef and Cabbage Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 head cabbage
- 8 oz carrots
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 24 oz tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Wash, dry and remove core from cabbage and shred
- Peel and slice carrots into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- Brown brown beef in dutch oven over medium high heat
- Add cabbage and carrots and sauté for 5-10 minutes until cabbage begins to wilt
- Add seasonings, tomato sauce and sugar and let simmer for 10 minutes until veggies are fully tender
- leftover casserole will keep for up to 3 days tightly covered in fridge
- can serve over rice or mashed potatoes if desired, but I like it as is
- sub shredded packaged cabbage for regular cabbage if desired