Need some fool proof healthy brown rice that you can meal prep or make in a pinch? Use your Instant Pot to make this perfect brown rice without the hassle!
I love making brown rice in the Instant Pot because it’s hands-off, foolproof, and I can throw it in while cooking the rest of my dinner or on Sunday if I’m meal prepping.
As a side dish, a base, or to bulk up a meal, brown rice in the Instant Pot is a tasty, nutritious and easy answer.
I used Mahatma brand brown rice but you can use any you like. Different brands may need adjusted cooking times.
Feel free to sub the water for an equal amount of broth for additional flavor.
To make brown rice in the Instant Pot you can simply stir in an equal amount of rice and water
Close the lid and set the valve to sealing
Push the manual button on the front of the pot and set it to high pressure for 20 minutes
It will take about 10 minutes for the pot to come to pressure
After cooking time has completed let the pot sit for 5 minutes without touching it for some of the pressure to release naturally
After that you can turn the valve to release any remaining pressure before opening the pot
Stir rice before serving
- You can use a 3 or 6 quart electric pressure cooker for this recipe
How To Store Leftovers
Let cool completely, then store in airtight containers in fridge up to 3 days
Store in individual portions in freezer for up to 3 months
Instant Pot Gumbo (coming soon!)
Instant Pot Brown Rice
- 6 quart Instant Pot
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup water
- Add rice and water to Instant pot
- Cover, seal and set to manual high pressure for 20 minutes
- Allow at least 5 minutes after cooking time has completed for a natural pressure release then turn valve to release remaining pressure
- Cool completely, store in airtight containers in fridge up to 3 days
- Store in individual portions in freezer for up to 3 months