When you want a hearty meal it doesn’t have to be complicated! Making a simple skillet steak with pepper gravy is a quick and easy way to get a delicious meal on the table!
My family simply loves steak and for that reason, I love it too! But for those days where I’d rather not fire up the grill, this Simple Skillet Steak with Pepper Gravy is the ticket to a simple but delicious dinner that everyone will devour. Making steak in a cast iron skillet takes a bit of practice but will yield deliciously easy results.
Which steak is best for pan frying?
- ribeye (which is what I chose)
- skirt steak
Any of these would be great options! In fact, sometimes I will even make a strip steak in my skillet. But for this time, I had ribeyes on hand, and you just can’t go wrong with ribeye.
Now… how do you cook steaks in a cast iron skillet?
- start by getting the skillet nice and hot!
- get those steaks seasoned and then add some butter/oil to the pan
- get a nice sear/crust on each side then reduce heat to let them continue to cook through
- use a meat thermometer to make sure you get them to the perfect temperature
And of course, you just can’t have a skillet steak without a delicious pan gravy!
How do you make pan gravy?
- remove the steak and let it rest
- add a thickener (flour or cornstarch)
- add broth or diary depending on the type of gravy you want
- let simmer and thicken with the leftovers from the pan into a delicious gravy
When you want a hearty meal it doesn't have to be complicated! Making a simple skillet steak with pepper gravy is a quick and easy way to get a delicious meal on the table!
- 3 pounds boneless ribyeye steaks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons herb and garlic seasoning
- 1 teaspoon California pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup beef broth
Heat cast iron skillet for 5 minutes over medium high to high heat
Add butter to skillet
Season steaks with herb and garlic seasoning and place in heated skillet
Let sear until brown and crusted on each side (about 3-4 minutes per side)
Reduce heat and use thermometer to monitor temperature until they reach desired doneness (I prefer medium)
Remove steaks from skillet and allow to rest
Stir in cornstarch to skillet until smooth
Slowly pour in broth while whisking and add California pepper
Bring to a simmer until thickened and serve over steaks