Air Fryer Potato Chip Chicken
Think a crispy juicy chicken breast is a lot of work? Not when it only takes 3 simple ingredients and an air fryer!! This air fryer potato chip chicken is likely to become a new family favorite because it’s so tasty and so easy! Using the air fryer has been one of my favorite ways to make chicken lately!
Let’s just be honest. If I was stranded on a desert island and could only choose one snack, it’s probably going to be potato chips. I might be tempted to sound like I make better decisions and choose something like carrot sticks or grapes, but let’s keep it real here. I’m a pretty big fan of potato chips and I’m okay with that. So much so, in fact, I found a way to incorporate potato chips into a recipe that could actually be dinner!! I’m feeling pretty smart right now, and I’m hoping you will think this is a pretty good idea as well. Air Fryer Potato Chip Chicken is easy, quick and simple and can be eaten in so many different ways.
What kind of potato chips do you need to make air fryer potato chip chicken?
Good news! Pretty much any kind!! I am partial to kettle chips because they are thicker, make a courser crumb and come in lots of delicious flavors. I’ve made this with plain chips, honey mustard flavor and white cheddar. Just make sure to take a taste or two of the chip you choose and make the decision on whether it has enough flavor on its own or if you’d like to add a spoonful of seasoning blend. Taste testing potato chips, tough job, I know.
How long do you air fry a chicken breast?
I just love how easy this chicken is to make. A few notes about how it comes together.
- Buy the chicken tenders or thin sliced chicken for this recipe instead of the big huge chicken breasts. In this case, the chicken will cook faster, more evenly, and will be done before the potato chips burn.
- The chicken will take around 10-15 minutes depending on thickness. It’s important when cooking meat and especially chicken to check the internal temperature to know when it’s done properly. It only takes a few seconds, and once you finally start doing this when cooking meat, you are going to be so much happier with the results.
- Have one container with the eggs, one with the crushed chips and just create a quick little assembly line. Use tongs to keep from poking the chicken and just move it along the line from egg to chips to air fryer.
Keep in mind depending on the size of your air fryer you may have to make this potato chip chicken in batches. Be sure you don’t crowd it so that it will brown up on all sides. Also smart (and the part I forgot the first time I made this), spray the basket with a little non-stick spray first. Makes it easier to get the chicken back out.
Tools you need to make air fryer potato chip chicken:
Love air fryer recipes? You should try out my air-fryer bacon wrapped brussels sprouts!
Air Fryer Potato Chip Chicken
- 1 pound thin sliced chicken breasts (or tenders)
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces kettle potato chips, any flavor
- 1 teaspoon all purpose seasoning, optional
- Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees
- Spray basket of air fryer with non-stick spray
- Using a wide shallow dish beat eggs
- Add chips to a second dish or baggie and crush until fine, using rolling pin or the side of a glass
- Dip each piece of chicken into beaten egg to coat then into chips
- Make sure all sides coated by chips and add to air fryer basket
- Cook for about 7-8 minutes and flip
- Cook for another 7-8 minutes or until chicken reaches internal temp of 165 degrees F and chips are browned and crispy
YES! Potato Chips seriously make the BEST breading for ‘fried’ chicken. I can’t wait to try your recipe!
If you want them to be crispy dont you need to spray them with oil after coating or no?
You could certainly spray them with a very light coating of oil to help them brown a little more evenly, but there seems to be enough oil in the chips that they do brown up nicely.
Hi! If I want to use the seasoning, write and when do I incorporate it into the recipe?
Oh wow! I’m going to have to get an air frier! They look amazing and so does this chicken!
I just got a Dash one and it is 2 quart. I cannot wait to try this. Have had this machine a week and i am scared to use. Yes I am admitting fear of cooking and no that is not me. So this is truly new and will let you know. Love these recipes and will be trying the bacon brussel’s too..I bought this to lose weight btw. Stop this good stuff..lolo 😉
Hi, Marylou I have a small dash also. I used it right away because I was intimidated and knew that I would not use it if I did not use it right away. I have done breakfast, pasta and cake very successfully. Go for it, it is great, especially when cooking for 1
I want an air fryer. I also want a piece of this fabulous looking chicken. Yum!
Ok, I confess. I have an air fryer and almost never use it because I don’t know what to make! But this sounds so delicious and it’s something different so I can’t wait to try. 🙂
This is so cool! I’m getting super bored with my chicken recipes and this is just what I needed
I made it in my air fryer and it was crispy and delicious. I cut the second side after turning the chicken to 6 minutes using the same temperature. Perfect!!!!!
Love potato chip chicken! If you want to skip egg bath, try soaking tenders overnight in buttermilk. I also crush a few ritz crackers and add a little flour to my crushed potato chips~ SO good!!
Never spay air fryers with cooking spray. Only use pump spray.
Excellent! Used drumsticks and used Old Bay spiced potato chips. Came out crispy and so yummy!
lol, am I blind? I see the seasoning in the list of ingredients but I don’t see, in the instructions, when to use the seasoning. Thank you. 🙂
You can add it into the crushed chips before breading, if desired for additional flavor.
Honestly the BEST way to make chicken in the airfryer. BUT, next time try using crushed BBQ pork rinds. No carbs Super crispy crunchy! No additional seasoning needed.