Need a super simple taco night recipe that goes beyond the typical boring beef tacos? Try these Instant Pot Chicken Tacos with some fresh corn salsa for a real weeknight treat!
Yes, I had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the Instant Pot craze. I never understood the appeal over using a slow cooker and when I finally bought one my first few recipes were miserable fails. But then, I started to get the hang of it, and finally one day, I was fully on board. An Instant Pot can be a true life saver! Because as much as we all like to plan ahead and think we should have it all together and know exactly what we are having for dinner every night of the week, the reality is life get in the way and just moves too fast. And that leaves us scrambling. But these Instant Pot Chicken Tacos will truly save the day. You can throw frozen chicken in, straight from the freezer, along with my homemade (or your favorite store bought) taco seasoning and have dinner without much hassle. And for the days where life is just real… I don’t know how you could ask for anything better than this.
How do you make shredded chicken tacos?
- It all starts with some boneless skinless chicken. I used thighs because, gosh, they have so much flavor, but you can use breasts too.
- Throw them in whole, with some broth and turn on that Instant Pot
- If frozen add a few extra minutes of cooking time
- Remove cooked chicken, use two forks and shred
- If it doesn’t shred easily, you didn’t cook it long enough
Now can we talk about topping for a minute? I love this fresh corn salsa, and found it perfect and simple in a pinch because I almost always have frozen corn and grape tomatoes on hand. What I didn’t have? Avocados. No big deal, I just left them out. It’s totally up to you! Other topping options include:
- regular (store bought or homemade) salsa
- spicy ranch
- fresh chopped peppers
- anything your heart desires – these are your tacos!
Can I put frozen chicken in the Instant Pot?
Yes!! That’s the beauty and how this pressure cooker device finally wins me over. Frozen meat in the slow cooker is a food safety no no (who wants food poisoning?) but the Instant Pot? A total yes! And it only takes a few minutes longer to cook. Now when you get home and realize your meat is still frozen solid, no problem!
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning homemade or store bought
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Sprinkle chicken with taco seasoning and add to pressure cooker with broth
- Seal and set to manual high pressure for 10 minutes (12 for frozen)
- Allow 5 minutes natural pressure release then release remaining pressure
- Remove thighs and shred