Everyone loves an indulgence from time to time and this Skillet Biscuits and Gravy Casserole will satisfy all cravings for a hearty meal any time of the day!
As much as we all try to plan ahead and have meals prepped or at least have an idea of what we want to make I would say that it’s a safe bet that there are times when there’s just nothing. We just haven’t had time, or energy, or plans change and there is nothing for dinner. So, what’s your go-to when this happens? In our house, we often go with breakfast for dinner! I mean, it’s fun, it’s likely you have the ingredients on hand, and it’s also pretty quick. So, if you need a quick dinner, or if you want to make a delicious but easy breakfast for guests, this Skillet Biscuits and Gravy Casserole should be in your line-up of any day recipes!
Step by Step making Skillet Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
This all gets done in one skillet which is my kind of meal. I hate clean-up and this one is easy.
After browning up some ground sausage, make a simple from scratch gravy by adding flour.
Stir that all in to coat the sausage and then we will make gravy my “secret” way by using chicken broth. I know that’s different than what you might be used to. Most people go for the milk. But trust me, this gives you so much more flavor!
So, how will we get it creamy? Well, the trick is, use the chicken broth for flavor, then once you get the sauce thickened, add a little cream! Just try it, and I think you’ll love it.
Some super simple from scratch biscuits are made in the form of drop biscuit dough. So no rolling out, no cutting and no popping open a can!
Pop the whole skillet into the oven for a bit to cook up those biscuits and make the gravy warm and bubbly! In no time at all you have a perfectly comforting dinner or a stick-to-your ribs breakfast. Can’t even go wrong.
When to serve Skillet Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- weekend breakfast for family
- brunch for guests
- weeknight dinner!
Skillet Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken seasoning blend like Montreal Chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Brown turkey sausage in large oven proof skillet over medium high heat until fully cooked and browned
- Stir in 1/4 cup flour
- Slowly add chicken broth while stirring until smooth and flour fully incorporated
- Add cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt and chicken seasoning
- Let simmer and thicken for 5-7 minutes, remove from heat
- Add remaining flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar to bowl
- Melt butter and let cool slighly
- Stir milk into cooled butter
- Add butter mixture to dry ingredients in bowl and mix by hand until just incorporated
- Drop dough by spoonfuls on top of sausage gravy in skillet
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or until biscuit topping is lightly browned
This recipe is a quick-fix option from my meal plan service. Not only do I help you make ahead easy slow cooker meals, but also provide you with many customizable options like this quick-fix meal and meals that use up leftovers. Make sure you sign-up for a plan and get your $1 trial!