For a simple, healthy and delicious dinner you just can’t go wrong with baked salmon! This simple tutorial will teach you how to bake salmon in the oven for the perfect easy meal!
One meal I can always count on my family actually eating without complaint is salmon! Whether we grill, pan sear or oven bake, it’s always sure to be a hit. In the summer I usually prefer grilling, but now that the weather is turning cold and rainy, an indoor method of cooking is becoming my go-to until I finally get that covered patio. I’m always surprised at how many of my friends and family tell me they don’t like fish. When I get to talking to them more, what I usually find out is that they don’t know how to cook it, or haven’t had well cooked fish before. If you’ve never learned how to bake salmon in the oven, this this recipe is for you!
How do you cook salmon in the oven?
- overall it’s not much different than cooking salmon by another method
- choose one large or several smaller fillets
- leave the skin on
- brush the other side with an oil of your choice (I like avocado oil)
- choose a seasoning to sprinkle on (This simple blend is a favorite)
- place on parchment paper or foil for easy cleanup
How do you know when salmon is done cooking?
- salmon should cook to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F
- Fish flakes easily with a fork when it is done
- I ALWAYS recommend a food thermometer when cooking any type of meats to ensure no one get sick AND so that the meat never gets overdone
One of my other favorite things to do is use the leftover salmon to make salmon patties!
You don’t want to be that person in the office known for reheating your leftover fish, right? So repurposing it for another dinner is really the only thing that makes sense. And I think I just might like the salmon patties even more than the baked salmon, if that’s possible!
How long does it take to bake salmon?
- it will depend on the thickness of the filets you use – anywhere from 12-15 minutes for most
- this is why it’s important to use a meat thermometer to monitor and know right when it’s done
For a simple, healthy and delicious dinner you just can't go wrong with baked salmon! This simple tutorial will teach you how to bake salmon in the oven for the perfect easy meal!
- 2 pound salmon fillet or 6 individual fillets
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon seasoning blend see notes
preheat oven to 400 degrees F
Line baking sheet with parchment or foil and place fish skin side down
Brush with oil and sprinkle with seasoning
Bake for 12-15 minutes until fish reaches internal temperature of 145 degrees F
My favorite all purpose seasoning blends to use for salmon are: