If you’ve ever wondered what to do with leftover salmon, it’s time to try fresh salmon patties! Simple and quick to make and a perfect way to use up those leftovers!
If you read my post from the other day about how to make salmon in the oven, you’ll know that it’s one meal my family is guaranteed to eat. So, it’s true that actually having leftovers could be a challenge, but these fresh salmon patties are so delicious, that I will often make extra to put away just so that I can make these! Fresh salmon patties are a perfect quick weeknight meal as well as a fun lunch on the weekends, so anytime I make salmon I like to plan for these.
How do you make salmon patties from scratch?
While you can start out with canned salmon (and I often do) using fresh salmon really makes the best tasting salmon patties. You’ll want to cook the salmon first, so I often use leftovers from another meal, or make extra and save it for a day or two later.
It takes about 2 cups of flaked salmon to make enough salmon patties to serve 4-6 people.
I prefer to use salmon that has been done up with a simple seasoning, like this all-purpose seasoning, so that I can add a little fresh or dried dill and mustard for extra flavor.
What ingredients do you need for salmon patties?
Besides, of course, the salmon, you will need…
- egg and mayo for moisture
- flax seed (or flour) to help bind
- mustard, dill and salt for flavor
- oil for frying (I like avocado oil for the high smoke point and neutral flavor)
I like to use ground flax seed instead of flour for the extra fiber and omega-3’s. Either will work, but if you haven’t used flax seed yet, give it a try! It provides a great texture and you can also use it in smoothies!
A few other tips for making fresh salmon patties:
- you don’t need to use too much oil in the pan, just a thin layer should do it
- place patties on a paper towel after cooking to remove excess oil
- make only a few at a time because they will cook quickly and you don’t want any to burn
- serve them up with some additional mayo mixed with a little lemon juice
Fresh Salmon Patties
- Mix all ingredients except avocado oil in bowl, add extra 1-2 tablespoons mayo as need to be able to form patties
- Heat a thin layer of oil in small skillet over medium high heat
- Form salmon mixture into 6 equal sized patties
- Cook in two batches, for about 2-5 minutes on each side until lightly browned
- Remove to paper towels to cool slightly before serving