If you’re looking for simple but unique way to use up that leftover turkey, then how about turkey tortilla soup in the Instant Pot?! Only about 5 minutes on hands on prep time for a quick and easy dinner!
Turkey tortilla soup is such an easy way to use up that leftover turkey without getting bored of turkey and mashed potatoes! Just chop up the leftovers and toss in the Instant Pot with some ready made ingredients for a quick no-fuss dinner prep. Just a few minutes to heat through on high pressure and dinner will be ready.
With meals this easy, there’s really no reason to go out to eat or grab fast food from the drive thru.
How do you make turkey tortilla soup:
- chop up leftover turkey or chicken and add to Instant Pot
- add canned tomatoes and tomato sauce
- add frozen corn kernels
- Add fresh diced jalapeño, onion and garlic for extra flavor and freshness
- Add my favorite homemade taco seasoning
- Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes
What make this tortilla soup different?
- no crushed tomatoes – I prefer the smoother texture from tomato sauce + chicken broth and then add in tomato chunks from canned diced tomatoes
- no beans – you can add them if you like, but I think the flavor shines better without
- it’s ready in less than 30 minutes
- it’s perfect for using up leftovers or making ahead for meal prep
Can I meal prep tortilla soup?
- Assemble the ingredients for this recipe in a freezer safe container (I like this one) and store in fridge for up to 3 days for freezer for up to 3 months
- it can be cooked from frozen in the Instant Pot if you add some additional liquid
- leftovers can be stored in fridge for up to 3 days or frozen and stored in freezer for up to 3 months
- I love freezing leftover soup in these Souper Cubes then popping them into a Stasher bag for easy storage
- leftover frozen soup cubes make a great quick lunch
If you need more ideas for using up leftover turkey, make sure you check out my turkey enchiladas!
Instant Pot Turkey Tortilla SoupPrint Pin Rate Add to Menu Plan Go to Menu Plan
- 8 oz leftover turkey chopped into bite sized pieces
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn kernels
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup sweet onion peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh jalapeno diced, ribs and seeds removed
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 4 oz salad topper tortilla strips
- Add all ingredients except for tortilla strips to Instant Pot and stir to combine
- Cover, seal and set to high pressure for 8 minutes
- Allow 10 minute natural pressure release then turn valve to release remaining pressure
- Serve each bowl with a handful of tortilla strips and topped with cheese, sour cream, cilantro or plain - however you prefer!
- To make half of a recipe to serve 1-2 people, I would suggest making the whole recipe up to the point you add broth, dividing in half, and storing half in a freezer bag to cook later. That way you prep once and eat twice! Use a 2-3 quart slow cooker if making half.
- To double, simply double all of the ingredients (you can use the serving size slider in the recipe card below) and use a 5 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Feel free to sub store-bought taco seasoning in place of homemade.
- Look for frozen corn labeled as "sweet" or "super-sweet" for best results.