Using deli sliced American cheese and fresh sliced sourdough this grilled cheese is a step-up from the grilled cheese your mom used to make when you were a kid!
I love adding a little garlic powder to my butter spread to add even more flavor.
This sandwich cooks up quickly and is nice and crisp from the air fryer without the soggy buttery mess that sometimes comes from frying.
Instead of using the sliced and wrapped American cheese from the cooler case, head to the deli and grab some high quality fresh sliced cheese
If you don’t care for sourdough, feel free to swap out for another variety of bakery fresh bread
Butter the outside of the bread and sandwich the cheese inside on the non-butter part
Add to air fryer in single layer and cook at 360 degrees for 5-7 minutes and make sure you flip it once
Turn the air fryer up to 400 degrees and cook a few more minutes to crisp it up
Always monitor air fryer closely when cooking
- A 5.8 quart or larger air fryer
- You could always swap out the American cheese for other melty varieties like Gouda or cheddar
How To Store Leftovers
- Let cool completely then store in air tight containers in fridge up to 3 days, reheat in air fryer to serve
- Serve this up with a steaming bowl of Instant Pot Tomato Soup.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices American cheese
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Stir garlic powder into butter
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with 1-2 teaspoons of butter
- Layer one slice of cheese on each non-buttered side
- Stack two slices of bread with the cheese sandwiched between and place in air fryer basket
- Cook at 360 degrees for 5-7 minutes, flipping once
- Turn air fryer up to 400 degrees and cook an additional 2-4 minutes until desired brown and crispness achieved
- Let cool slightly before cutting in half
- Use other easy-melting cheese varieties: Gouda, cheddar
- Cool completely, store in air-tight containers in fridge up to 3 days, reheat in air fryer to serve