Forget the canned stuff! Let me show you how to make homemade enchilada sauce that will knock your socks off and it only takes minutes! Make ahead a batch for quick weeknight meals!
I’ve been testing out this sauce forever, I’ve made some very tasty homemade enchiladas with different versions and cooking methods, but I think I’ve finally found the answer to the nice thick, rich and perfectly easy enchilada sauce that you can make yourself with very little effort. Sure, popping open a can is easy, and a few brands are actually really good. But if you want to take it to the next level, let me show you how to make homemade enchilada sauce in minutes!
How to make homemade enchilada sauce
- Add ingredients to stock pot or dutch oven
- Heat and stir until thickened
It’s really just that simple – combining l0 ingredients in your favorite pot and letting it simmer until thickened. Cool and store in jars to use this week or add to freezer bags or containers and thaw out anytime to make delicious enchiladas, soups and more. You could make
- Easy chicken enchiladas using leftover or rotisserie chicken
- Chicken enchilada soup
- My favorite: Corn and Black Bean Enchiladas
We did a vote over on Instagram a couple weeks ago about making enchilada sauce and I can’t remember the exact results, but the majority of you there wanted to make it from scratch as long as it was easy! So, I’d love to know what you think! Is it easy enough? Will you try it? I’d love to hear from you!
How to Make Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Whisk together cornstarch with water until smooth
- Add all ingredients to saucepan or dutch oven
- Bring to a simmer and whisk until smooth and thickened (about 10 minutes)
- Allow to cool completely before storing in glass jars or freezer bags