If you’ve ever wondered what the perfect strip of bacon tastes like, then you need to learn how to make bacon in the oven! It turns out perfect crispy and tasty every time and is so easy to do!
If you avoid making bacon because of the hassle and the mess, then this is about to change your life! Maybe you already know this, but I sure didn’t until just a couple of years ago. Making bacon in the oven is easy and it comes out perfectly crispy and tasty every time! Plus the mess is easier to clean up and it can be cooking while you are making pancakes and eggs! Make breakfast time simple by learning how to make bacon in the oven.
What you’ll need for cooking bacon in the oven:
- a rimmed baking sheet with plenty of room for catching the grease. Like to make lots of bacon? Get an extra large sheet pan!
- thick cut bacon
I like to use the thick cut bacon because it gives it a chance to cook up crispy and perfect without cooking too fast and burning. If you don’t like your bacon quite as crispy, just reduce the cooking time. The idea is really to experiment and after a couple of time you will figure out exactly what works for you, your oven and the brand of bacon you use.
A few more tips to note when cooking bacon in the oven:
- Start with a cold oven. Put the bacon right in and it will start to cook as it comes to temperature.
- Keep a close eye on the oven while cooking. Remember, you are going to end up with a lot of very hot grease so you’ll need to be extremely careful not to get burned or to spill grease.
- Flip the bacon over once (use tongs) during cooking to get the most even cook possible.
We love making up a big batch on the weekend and then the kids can easily heat up bacon during the week for a quick breakfast!
It would be terrible if I didn’t mention, this goes amazingly with Skillet Biscuits and Gravy Casserole for a weekend breakfast and the leftovers are pretty much amazing served with the weekday breakfast potatoes!
How to Make Bacon in the Oven
- 1 pound thick sliced bacon
- Cover deep rimmed baking sheet with foil
- Place bacon in a single layer on baking sheet
- Place in cold oven and turn oven on to 400 degrees F
- Keep a close eye on bacon and flip over at about 10-15 minutes to finish cooking on bottom side
- Total time will be about 20 minutes depending on thickness of bacon
- VERY carefully remove bacon from baking sheet and place on paper towels to drain before serving
Important notes when making bacon in the oven:
- Be careful!! There will be a lot of very hot grease
- Use tongs to avoid getting hands to close to the hot grease
- Make twice as much as you think you'll need. This is so good that people will keep coming back for more!!