Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
Making a beef bourguignon used to be a long and complicated process, but not anymore! With the help of an Instant Pot pressure cooker, you can have this delicious dish on your dinner table in no time. This recipe is simple and easy to follow, and the end result is mouth-watering. So don’t wait any longer – give this recipe a try today!
What is beef bourguignon?
Beef bourguignon is a hearty and delicious French dish that typically consists of beef, bacon, onions, and red wine. This dish has a rich and complex flavor that is sure to please everyone at the dinner table. While it may seem intimidating to make, this recipe is actually very simple and easy to follow.
What is the difference between beef stew and beef bourguignon?
Beef stew and beef bourguignon are both French dishes made with beef, but they have some key differences. Beef stew is typically made with potatoes, carrots, and other vegetables, while beef bourguignon contains bacon and red wine in addition to the beef.
This gives the bourguignon dish a richer and more complex flavor than the stew. If you’re looking for a hearty and delicious French meal, be sure to give this beef bourguignon recipe a try!
Ingredients for beef bourguignon
bacon – The bacon in this recipe adds a delicious, smoky, and savory flavor to the beef bourguignon.
chuck roast – When choosing a chuck roast, look for one that is well-marbled and has a good amount of fat. This will ensure that the roast is juicy and flavorful.
carrots – Adding carrots to beef bourguignon adds a delicious flavor and sweetness to the dish. Be sure to use whole peeled and cut carrots rather than baby carrots for the most flavor.
baby potatoes – beef bourguignon is often served over a starch like mashed potatoes or noodles, but I love to add the potatoes into this version and cook everything all together and save time. Plus the potatoes because so deliciously flavorful after cooking in the juices.
onion – The onion is a key ingredient in beef bourguignon and adds a delicious flavor and sweetness to the dish.
garlic – You can use fresh chopped garlic or my jarred minced garlic which is so easy to keep on hand and throw in your dishes while cooking.
red wine – A good quality red wine is key for this dish. The most traditional option is burgundy but I also like to use a Cabernet Sauvignon. You can really use a wide variety of red wines in the dish, the key is to make sure it’s something you would also drink.
beef broth – Use beef broth for beef bourguignon because it adds a delicious and savory flavor to the dish. The beef broth also helps to keep the roast juicy and tender. When cooking in the Instant Pot, at least 1 cup of liquid is needed for the device to function.
tomato paste – tomato paste adds rich flavor to the beef bourguignon without changing the texture or making the sauce too thin.
tapioca pearls – I love tapioca pearls for thickening sauces in the Instant Pot because they work well to thicken the sauce toward the end of cooking time, eliminating errors with the device and taking out the need for extra steps.
If you’re looking for a delicious and hearty French meal, but don’t have all of the ingredients necessary to make beef bourguignon, never fear! There are plenty of ingredient swaps that you can make to create a similar dish.
If you don’t have bacon on hand, you can use ham or sausage instead.
If you don’t have a chuck roast, you can use pork loin or chicken thighs instead.
If you don’t have red wine, you can use white wine or broth instead.
If you’d like to add some more flavor or veggies, mushrooms would be a great option as would additional root veggies.
This will change the final flavor and results, but you’ll still have a delicious dish made using ingredients you have on hand.
How to make this dish
What I love is how much easier this dish is to make using an Instant Pot. It only has a few steps and is practically foolproof.
- chop the bacon into small pieces and set aside. Do the same thing for the chuck roast (cut into bite-sized 1 inch cubes)
- preheat the Instant Pot on saute
- Cook the bacon and then remove and set aside
- Season the beef and brown it in the Instant Pot using the remaining dripping from the bacon
- Turn off the pot and add the rest of the ingredients
- Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes
Remember, it will take about 10 minutes for the pot to come to pressure and about 15 minutes for the pressure to release naturally.
Tips and Tricks
Making beef bourguignon doesn’t have to be difficult. In fact, with a few simple tips and tricks, you can have a delicious and hearty French meal on the table in no time.
- One of the most important things to remember is to use a good quality red wine. The wine not only adds flavor to the dish, but also helps to keep the roast juicy and tender. Plus it will pair well if you’d like to enjoy a glass when eating the meal.
- Using a high quality beef is important in this recipe and will make all the difference. It will ensure your beef is tender and that the dish turns out flavorful. If you haven’t tried Butcher Box I highly recommend their meats and have been very happy with everything I’ve purchased.
- The reason for cutting the roast into cubes is that it allows the beef, carrots and potatoes to cook evenly. If you leave the roast whole, you would need to increase cooking time to 45-60 minutes which would cause the carrots and potatoes to become overcooked.
What cut of beef is best for beef bourguignon?
The best cut of beef for beef bourguignon is a chuck roast. It’s a tougher cut of meat, but it becomes tender and juicy when cooked slowly in the sauce.
What can I do if my beef bourguignon tastes bitter?
This likely means you cooked the wine too long. Try adding a bit of sugar.
What is traditionally served with beef bourguignon?
It is typically served with red wine and bread.
What if my sauce is too thin?
If your beef bourguignon sauce is too thin, there are a few things you can do to thicken it. One option is to use additional tapioca pearls, which will help to thicken the sauce toward the end of cooking time. Another option is to make a roux, which is a mixture of fat and flour that is cooked until thickened. You can also add some starch such as cornstarch or arrowroot powder to help thicken the sauce.
How should I store my leftovers?
If you have any leftover beef bourguignon, there are a few things you can do to store it so that it doesn’t go bad.
- One option is to store it in the fridge in an airtight container. This will keep it fresh for 3-4 days.
- Another option is to freeze it. You can either freeze it in an airtight container or put it in a freezer bag. It will stay fresh for 2-3 months when frozen this way.
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
- 2 slices bacon chopped
- 1 pound chuck roast cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 3 large carrots sliced about ½ inch thick
- 12 oz baby potatoes halved
- 1 small yellow onion quartered
- 1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon tapioca pearls
- Heat Instant Pot on Sauté and add bacon
- Cook, stirring often, until browned
- Remove bacon to separate bowl
- Season beef with thyme, salt and pepper and cook in the Instant Pot with remaining bacon drippings
- Cook 3-4 minutes on each side until browned
- Turn off Instant Pot
- Add bacon, carrots, potatoes, onions and garlic
- Mix together wine, broth, tomato paste and tapioca pearls
- Pour over beef
- Set to high pressure for 35 minutes
- Allow natural pressure release
- Serve with crusty bread or as desired