When you just want a bite of dessert, these Mini Pumpkin Pies will do the trick! Vegan and low-carb they make an easy and tasty dessert.
First off, one thing I need to tell you all is that I am not a baker. I love to cook and make all sorts of savory things, but when it comes to sweets, unless I have a really good recipe to follow, I tend to not test things out. But with several cans of pumpkin sitting in my pantry I decided that I had nothing to lose, and played around with making a dessert that would work for anyone interested in low-carb or vegan this holiday season. These Mini Pumpkin Pies are versatile, easy and actually pretty quick and simple to make.
The crust is a super simple mix of crushed walnuts, a little brown sugar and either melted butter or coconut oil. Pressed tightly in the bottom of a mini muffin tin, it bakes into a super tasty crust. Feel free to swap out the walnuts with graham crackers if that’s more your thing.
The filing is a simple blend of canned pumpkin, spices, and some sweeteners along with a little cashew milk (or milk of your choice) and some cornstarch to thicken it into a filling as it bakes.
Into the oven for around 20 minutes until set, and then totally cooled before adding any desired toppings. I chose a coconut whipped topping, you could make your own, or just eat them as is. They are not super sweet, for me it was just the right amount and I loved having just the little bites of dessert.
Mini Pumpkin Pies
- 12 oz chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted (can also use butter if desired)
- 15 oz canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (can use honey)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line mini muffin pan with mini cupcake liners
- Add walnuts, 1 tablespoon sugar and melted oil to blender or food processor and process several seconds until finely ground
- Add all filling ingredients to large bowl and whisk until smooth
- Add about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the walnut to the bottom of each line and press tightly with fingers
- Add about a tablespoon of filling (fill to the top and smooth out)
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until set
- Remove and let cool completely and refrigerate until ready to serve
Smart Points per Serving 8
Need another pumpkin dessert? Try this no-bake option!