A simple Pumpkin Caramel Ice Box Cake that you can have all year round! It will soon become a family favorite to make and enjoy!
I don’t make a lot of desserts, therefore it’s not likely I’ll have a lot of them to share here but I enjoy baking from time to time with my daughter. She likes to bake, but to be totally honest, I find baking recipes to be a bit stressful to make. The instructions need to be followed very carefully and the recipes are quite precise. I rather enjoy making things up as I go, switching out ingredients, and basically just being a cooking rebel. That’s how this Pumpkin Caramel Ice Box Cake was created!
That being said, there are times when a treat is necessary and it’s not always possible to get an order in at your favorite bakery in time. That’s when a few easy homemade dessert recipes that you keep on hand and that you know to be tried and true are a great option.
Ice box cakes have been around for a long time but are a fairly new discovery to me. And, might I add, kind of a life saver! No precise measuring and no actual baking involved yet you can make a cake that will be the hit of the party. I’ve made three in the last few weeks and none have disappointed.
I think you can serve this Pumpkin Caramel Ice Box cake all year round, but here are some ideas for when to serve it.
- Instead of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving (If you need tips on cooking a turkey… check that out here)
- Summer BBQ
- Birthday party for someone who loves pumpkin!
With homemade whipped cream and caramel sauce plus a little help in the form of graham crackers and pumpkin puree, this is a mostly homemade dessert that is easy to make and perfect for feeding a crowd!
Recipe inspired by Sally’s Baking Addiction
- 3 cups heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 20-21 full-sheet graham crackers 6-7 per layer x 3 layers
- 15 oz canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- In a large bowl with hand mixer or using a stand mixer add cream, confectioners sugar, vanilla and cinnamon
- Beat until stiff peak form, about 3-4 minutes
- In another bowl mix together pumpkin puree and condensed milk
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium high heat
- Add sugar, cream and vanilla and whisk until smooth and dissolved
- Let come to a bubble and boil for 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat, whisk in salt, then allow to cool
- To assemble cake layer about 1/2 cup whipped cream in the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish
- Top with one layer of graham crackers (6-7) then top with 1/3 of whipped cream, 1/2 of pumpkin and 1/3 of caramel, repeat
- For final layer add cracker, whipped cream and caramel
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours before serving
- Refrigerate any leftovers
If you love pumpkin and would like to try another one of my creations, check out these Mini Pumpkin Pies!