Forget a trip through the drive thru, make this healthier version of a Mexican Pizza in your air fryer in under 10 minutes!
What is Mexican Pizza?
Remember those amazing Mexican Pizzas that Taco Bell used to serve–but then discontinued?!? A lot of people were more than a little sad (heartbroken!) to see them go. Fortunately, this recipe is a near perfect replica of the guilty pleasure that so many of us grew up enjoying.
Mexican Pizza uses tortillas instead of traditional pizza crust to create two crispy layers around seasoned ground beef, refried beans, cheese, and enchilada sauce. It’s topped off with lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream.
Is Mexican Pizza gluten-free or dairy free? You can make substitutions for it to be. I’ve tested this Mexican Pizza recipe with both regular and gluten-free tortillas as well as regular and dairy-free shredded cheese (Violife is my favorite). Both ways turn out great.
Can I add extra fillings to my Mexican Pizza? Sure! You can customize the fillings, just make sure you don’t use anything to watery or greasy and keep the filling fairly thin. After creating your pizza, top it with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, fresh cilantro, etc.
Why is my Mexican Pizza soggy? To ensure that your Mexican Pizza is crispy, make sure you cook the first tortilla. DO NOT skip this step! Otherwise your pizza will be soggy.
Why won’t my pizza won’t lay still in the air fryer? You may need to place a small oven safe dish on top of tortilla and/or pizza to keep it from flying around in the air fryer as it cooks.
How should I serve Mexican Pizza? Mexican Pizza pairs great with a side of my Instant Pot Spanish Rice. Offer sour cream, salsa, queso, olives, etc. as optional toppings.
Air Fryer Mexican Pizza
- 2 taco sized flour tortillas can use gluten-free
- 1/2 cup taco meat
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1-2 oz shredded cheese
- Avocado oil spray
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees
- Spray basket with avocado oil spray
- Add tortilla and cook for 2 minutes until slightly crispy (see note)
- Top a tortilla with meat, beans and salsa and place in basket
- Top with another tortilla
- Spray top of tortilla with cooking spray
- Cook at 400 degrees for 3-5 minutes until lightly browned and toasty
- Top with cheese and cook an additional 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted
- Can substitute gluten-free tortillas and dairy-free cheese
- Don’t skip cooking the first tortilla or pizza will be soggy
Note: you may need to place a small oven safe dish on top of tortilla/pizza to keep it from flying around in the air fryer.