Farro is a delicious alternative to rice and quinoa and is super quick and easy to make in your Instant Pot! Make up a batch in 10 minutes for the perfect side dish or meal prep recipe.
Have you tried farro? If not, you are missing out. Farro is one of my favorite grains and I often use it for meal prep or in place of rice or quinoa as a side dish.
What is farro?
Farro may look a little like rice, but it’s got a nutty flavor and a chewy texture. It’s packed with fiber, protein and iron and from that perspective may be a better options than brown rice for some meals.
If cooking in the Instant Pot, you’ll want to avoid any quick cook varieties and stick with a regular farro that normally calls for a 30 minute cook time.
Please note that farro is not gluten-free.
How to make farro in the Instant Pot:
- Unless the package indicates otherwise, you will need to rinse your farro so that it doesn’t turn out bitter. Simply add your measured amount to a colander and rinse until water runs clear then shake dry.
- For liquid you can use either water or broth, but I prefer chicken broth for the added flavor.
- Add the measured amount so the pot and add the lid and set to seal
- Set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 10 minutes. It will probably take around 10 minutes before it comes to pressure and then you will see the timer start to count down
- Once it’s done cooking, I suggest waiting 5 minutes before turning the valve to release
If any liquid remains after cooking, you can simply drain it off.
What to serve with farro:
Farro is the perfect base for meal prep bowls and I love serving it up with my air fryer sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts.
Other important notes on making Instant Pot Farro:
Make ahead and store for up to 4 days in the fridge.
Did you know you can make a batch up ahead of time and freeze? Measure the cooked and cooled farro into individual portions and freeze in bags or containers.
Use broth for added flavor or use water and add salt if desired.
Easily double or triple the recipe.
Instant Pot Farro
- 1 cup farro
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Rinse farro well and drain fully
- Add to Instant Pot with chicken broth
- Cover and set to seal
- Set the timer to high pressure for 10 minutes (it will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure and then start couting down)
- Once cooking is completed allow pot to rest for 5 minute natural pressure release
- Carefully turn valve to release remaining pressure
- Stir to fluff and drain any remaining liquid before serving