Instant Pot Cabbage
Looking for an easy Instant Pot cabbage recipe? Cabbage can be a great side dish for any meal, and it’s especially delicious when cooked in the Instant Pot. In this blog post, we will discuss how to make cabbage in the Instant pot, and why it’s such a good choice for a side dish. We’ll also provide some tips on how to make your cabbage taste even better!
Health Benefits of Eating Cabbage
Cabbage is a nutrient-rich vegetable that provides many health benefits. It’s a good source of fiber, vitamins C and K, and minerals like manganese and potassium. Additionally, cabbage has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties, which could be beneficial for many conditions.
Cabbage as a side dish
One of the great things about Instant Pot cabbage is that it’s very quick and easy to prepare. Simply add your cabbage and water to the pot, set it to cook for a few minutes, and let it do its thing. Cabbage is a great side dish for many meals, including grilled chicken or fish, burgers, and even quesadillas. It’s also delicious on its own as a simple vegetable snack.
olive oil – to help the bacon cook without sticking and also adds a little extra flavor. Depending on the bacon you use, you might be able to omit the olive oil if desired.
bacon – who won’t eat veggies if they have bacon?! I prefer a bacon that is uncured and has no added sugar, like Coleman Natural.
onion & garlic – onion and garlic are both flavorful ingredients that add depth to a recipe. They’re also beneficial for your health, so adding them is a good way to boost the nutrition of your dish.
cabbage – when selecting a head of cabbage, look for one that is firm and has no blemishes. The leaves should be crisp and green.
stone ground mustard – this is a great flavor pairing with cabbage and is so simple to add
chicken broth – you need this both for flavor and for the Instant Pot to function (has to have liquid). For the most health benefits, I would go with bone broth. If you don’t have any broth you could use water.
smoked paprika – this gives the dish a nice smoky flavor
salt & pepper – to taste
How to make cabbage in the Instant Pot
- Remove the core and chop the cabbage
- Preheat the pot using the saute button
- Chop up the bacon and cook until browned and crispy, adding olive oil if needed
- Remove bacon and set aside
- Add the onion to the remaining bacon grease and cook until browned and softened
- Turn off the pot and add the remaining ingredients
- Add the lid, seal, and set to high pressure for 6 minutes
- At the end of cooking time do a quick release of the pressure before removing the lid
Please note it will take about 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to come to full pressure to start the cooking time.
What should I do with leftovers?
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days and should be reheated to serve.
Can I add more veggies?
Yes! You could also add some thinly sliced carrots or another root vegetable.
Serve this cabbage as a side dish with…
This Instant Pot cabbage recipe is a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables. Not only is it healthy and nutritious, but it’s also quick and easy to prepare. So if you’re looking for a simple side dish that will satisfy both your taste buds and your health goals, this recipe is definitely worth trying!
Instant Pot Cabbage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 oz bacon
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 teaspoons jarred minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat Instant Pot on sauté and add olive oil
- Chop bacon into bite sized pieces and add to preheated Instant Pot
- Cook until bacon is browned and crispy, adding a splash of the chicken broth as needed to deglaze, remove bacon to a paper towel and set aside
- Add chopped onion to remaining bacon grease and cook until slightly browned and tender
- Turn off Instant Pot
- Cut cabbage in half and remove core, then cut into large pieces about 1 1/2 – 2 inches square
- Add to Instant Pot along with onions
- Whisk together garlic, mustard, broth and paprika and pour over cabbage
- Cover, seal and set to high pressure for 6 minutes
- Once cooking time has completed, perform a quick release to release pressure before removing lid
- Retun bacon to Instant Pot
- Stir and salt and pepper to taste