Are you tired of dry boring chicken? These Instant Pot Chicken Thighs with Gravy will change your life!! Super easy to make and hard to mess up!
If you love chicken, have you ventured into making chicken thighs yet? It took me years before I would finally try them, but once I did I was hooked. Don’t get me wrong, chicken breast has it’s place, but chicken thighs can be so much more flavorful and juicy and so much harder to mess up. They are forgiving in many different cooking methods, and one of my favorite ways to make them is on the grill. But there are times as well when I need a quick dinner using the Instant Pot, and chicken thighs are my go to. These Instant Pot Chicken Thighs with Gravy are the perfect base recipe to serve up with a variety of sides for a simple, home cooked dinner. The gravy is easy to make and while it’s not a must, it does taste delicious over rice or potatoes.
How to cook chicken thighs in the Instant Pot?
When it comes to chicken thighs in the Instant Pot, I’d recommend browning them first. This is super easy because the pot comes with a built in sauté function. It takes just a few minutes to heat up but it will not only give your chicken a little more flavor, but will make it look even more appetizing as well.
If you want to make chicken that you are going to shred and use in other things, then you can skip the browning, otherwise, if chicken is the main star of your meal, I’d go with browning it first.
Do you need to use the trivet when making chicken?
In this case, no. I like adding the broth right to the chicken. It keeps it juicy and flavorful and it’s perfect for using the leftover pan juices to make gravy.
The main time I’m using a trivet with chicken is when I’m making chicken breasts that I basically want to keep plain and whole to use for chopping up to add to other recipes.
Can I cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot?
Yes! That’s one of the things I love! You’ll need to skip the browning step, so it may not be ideal in this recipe, but it still works in a pinch. You’ll need to add about 4 minutes to the recipe. Make sure they are individually frozen and not in a clump.
You could also make bone-in chicken thighs. If not frozen, add about 2 minutes to the recipe.
How to make gravy in the Instant Pot:
- remove chicken and set aside
- turn pot to saute
- whisk together cornstarch with water until smooth
- add to pan juices/broth
- stir while it comes to a simmer and thickens
Making gravy is so easy and my favorite way to serve up chicken dinners like this one!
Instant Pot Chicken Thighs with Gravy
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons herb and garlic seasoning or any seasoning blend for chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Season both sides of chicken with seasoning blen
- Heat butter and oil in Instant Pot on saute
- Add chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until lighly browned
- Turn off pot and add broth
- Cover, seal and set to high pressure for 8 minutes
- Allow a 10 minute natural pressure release then quick release remaining pressure
- Remove chicken and set aside
- Mix cornstarch with equal amount of water until smooth
- Switch pot to saute and whisk in cornstarch
- Continue whisking for 2-3 minutes until gravy has thickened
- Serve chicken topped with gravy
- If using frozen chicken thighs, eliminate browning step and set pot to 12 minutes high pressure
- If using thawed bone-in chicken thighs set pressure to 10 minutes on high