Craving a fresh restaurant-style salsa flavor but without the need to go out to a restaurant to get it? This salsa uses only 6 ingredients and involves no cooking! Just throw in the blender for a simple and easy homemade salsa!
Whether it’s the dead of winter or your garden just didn’t produce all those delicious tomatoes you hoped for, there’s no need to despair. You can still create a fresh tasting tomato salsa from scratch, and the bonus is that this one is so quick and easy you’ll want to make it all the time!
There’s a definite benefit to using canned tomatoes and in this case it makes such quick work of making a salsa that tastes just like fresh.
Make this up and serve it on chips, as a topping, or any way you would normally use fresh salsa!
- canned crushed tomatoes – I prefer fire-roasted but you can also use regular
- fresh cilantro – use dried in a pinch but fresh is well worth it here and can be easily found year-round at the the grocery store
- red onion – can chop ahead and freeze for later, but of course, fresh chopped is usually best
- jalapeño – I recommend fresh here, canned can be really spicy
- garlic cloves – chop or use jarred minced garlic
- lime juice – I keep the bottled on hand, but you could also squeeze fresh limes if you have them
- kosher salt to taste
How to make canned tomato salsa
You’ll start with your favorite crushed tomatoes.
To make easy work of chopping, I use my mini chopper (or use a mini food processor) to dice up the jalapeño pepper, onion and garlic.
Rough chop the cilantro and add all of the above to a bowl along with the lime juice and salt.
Stir to combine and now you have your own homemade salsa.
Tips for making salsa…
- for mild salsa remove the ribs and seeds from the peppers, leave some in to make it spicy
- let set covered in fridge for 60 minutes or longer for best flavor results before serving
- chop the veggies finely for a thinner salsa, leave roughly chopped for a chunkier salsa
- salsa will keep in fridge tightly covered for 3-4 days
How to serve salsa:
Love making salsa at home? Here are some of my other favorite recipes!
Canned Tomato Salsa
- 28 ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 handful fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper ribs and seeds removed and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- kosher salt to taste
- Use a food chopper or blender or chop by hand depending on desired consistency of salsa
- Mix all ingredients and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to let flavors combine
- remove ribs and seeds from pepper for mild salsa, leave some in for a spicer version
- salsa will keep 3-4 days in fridge tightly covered
- for a thinner consistency, finely chop veggies; rough chop veggies for a chunky salsa